Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy 2013!

So this is 2013. With every new year comes the quintessential resolution. For me, I don't have resolutions anymore. I used to though. I remember making the same resolutions as just about everyone else my age at the time: do better in school, get in shape, be kinder, etc. As I am older now, I've come to feel that resolutions are not sustainable, and in some cases, not very practical. Instead, I'm making goals! Same thing? I hardly think so. Goals are measurable, attainable and practical. Here is my list of goals for 2013:


  • Walk the Grouse Grind in one hour or less: This is something I've always wanted since two years ago. I tried to nmake it part of my training regiment last year but didn't complete this goal, due to an injury sustained during the Sun Run (see next goal). I know a number of people who have completed the Grouse Grind in under an hour (when they were younger). I want to at least claim that I've done it, even though I'm older and my body may not be as fit as it was.



  • Complete the Sun Run (10 km)  in one hour or less: I tried this last year and was tripped/shoved to the ground. I suffered minor abrasions but couldn't run after that. I had to walk to rest of the way to finish the Run and it took me two hours! I'm not giving up on this until I complete it. This year should be the year. People I know have accomplish it. It's about time I did so as well.



  • Exercise/walk 30 minutes a day: This was based on a YouTube video sent to me by a friend of mine. It was a 9-minute video about the benefits of exercise and the consequences of not exercising. I will be augmenting my training for the first two goals with this one as well.



  • Workout videos: My wife posted a picture of me in my boxers for all of her Facebook friends and followers to see -- without my permission of course. To lessen the blow to my dignity, I joked that it was a "before" picture for various workout videos, like P90X or something like that. Someone actually said they'll send me the videos so that I can post an "after" picture. This pretty much completes the fitness segment of my goals.
  • Finish reading Modern JavaScript: I started this book (as well as complete its exercises) sometime in the fall of 2012. I want to at least finish this book and start a project developing a website using JavaScript.
That's my list for this year. Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. If you can finish the sunrun in an hour, you should be able to do the GG in an hour (my GG times have always been significantly faster than my sunrun times..)

    Do you have an idea on what your website be about? Or will it just be some kind of "hello world" demo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and HNY to you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete