Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 - A New Year

For me, 2014 is a year of marking time. A number of personal things held me back from accomplishing anything this year. We took a break from the urban life with two camping trips (Golden Ears and Manning Park). This will be my first blog after a long hiatus.

With 2015 just around the corner, I decided that I need to take control of my future. These are my goals -- please do not call them resolutions!



Sun Run: On my last Sun Run, my time -- the best to date -- is 1 hour 10 minutes. This is the best time I have ever received but it was by no means one that I am satisfied with. With every Sun Run, I long to finish with a time that is less than 1 hour. With my runners broken in, my hoodie ironed, my playlist set and my running app on my iPhone, I am ready to brave the cold to put my 40-year-old legs, knees and heart to the ultimate test in endurance (and quite possibly pain) to accomplish this goal. Wish me luck!

Grouse Grind: I was once told (TC, I think it was you!) that if I can accomplish the Sun Run goal, the Grouse Grind should be attainable as well. The same training I will be enduring working through will also help my with my goal of hiking up Grouse Mountain in under 1 hour. 

Preschool Registration: With my programming experience limited to the classroom, I needed a real-life project to put my skills to the test. The opportunity came when my wife asked me to help her with her spreadsheet, making sure student placement is within a defined set of parameters. I decided to take her spreadsheet and create a student registration and placement web application for the preschool where she currently works. Whether or not the preschool eventually uses my creation, I will make this an opportunity to complete this project and make my foray into the world of commercial web application development. I have already started by researching different web technologies and have made a goal of April 30 as a completion date.

Happy New Year and may 2015 be a year of advancement for you.
 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good plan to get Web development experience. Let us know how that turns out.
    What is your plan to accomplish your fitness goals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certain exercise routines I can do indoors without resorting to the gym and I'll follow the running guide set out by Vancouver Sun for Sun Run training.

      Delete